Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Passion

 

I watched a "cute" movie the other day called The Big Year. It's about bird watching. I know, not my normal western, action, or fantasy preference in movie selection, but it had Steve Martin (who I adore), Owen Wilson (who I like, nose and all), and Jack Black (who I normally loathe but with Martin he had to be good). All three decide to do a "Big Year." Every year there is an informal competition between bird lovers to find out who can spot the most species. Those watchers who truly dedicate themselves to the passion of "birding" do not hold anything back (money, job, family) to pursue a Big Year. While the movie got into the psychological and competitive side of the event, what caught my interest was the passion these guys had for birds. BIRDS!

Everyone has something they are passionate about, and if they don't then they should find something. Family, friends, and job do not count. Whatever it is should be separate from those important spheres of one's life. Other people do not have to like or respect it, but it has to be something you absolutely can not do without. I know fishing was my Dad's passion. I couldn't say 100% for sure but I think working in the yard and garden has become my Mom's passion. For a slightly off the wall uncle it is the stock market.

I think the purpose of passion, in the sense I have been talking about it, is just that...to provide one with purpose. The other so called passions will leave or may change--kids leave home, you retire, the relationship isn't what it once was--but the idea of a Big Year kind of passion is that it is something permanent. It provides a person with a sense of purpose beyond the socially accepted norms. Was Steve Martin a good father and husband in the movie...yes. Was Jack Black a loving son...yes. Was Owen Wilson still keeping a good paying job...yes. But these three characters had found something that gave them purpose above and beyond those things.

Most people are loving fathers and mothers, good workers, and caring neighbors. But a Big Year kind of passion is an individual thing and that can be scary. Maybe this is why so many people keep these passions to themselves, afraid the guys at the office will not understand their passion for painting or crocheting. These type of passions are expressions of individuality. However, within the circle of people with whom you share the passion you gain respect and are accepted. Other "birders" admired Martin's and Wilson's characters because they were good. Maybe they couldn't sink a three-pointer but they could spot the shit out of birds. Even Black's character, because he was a decent guy, finds acceptance and the attention of a pretty girl. My point is others who may be important to your life do not have to understand your passion but they should accept it as they accept you.

Ultimately it is all about happiness. While all three of the characters in the film may grow old and generally happy without "birding," they are so much more happy because of it. Passionate endeavors make one happy because they in many ways are searches for beauty and perfection--the colorful cardinal, the flawless knitted sweater, the perfect tomato. There is often a sense of competition or adventure--the Big Year, the county fair, the craft show. Engagement of the mind and body are often necessary (but not required...ask Stephen Hawking). All of these elements make the pursuit of the task worthwhile and make the person happy. It is easy to say we are happy, but how many of us truly are?

Finally, I believe to achieve the highest stage of this pursuit of passion the topic, hobby, endeavor must be shared with family and friends. Again, they might not get it, but if they truly care about you, they will support it because it makes you happy and is part of who you are. Fear should not be an impediment to happiness or passion.

For those who are passionless, like myself, maybe there is hope. Life changing events can affect people in strange ways. I don't want to get too personal but I do want to offer my insight (for what its worth). I have not been passionate about something in a long time. Things that at one time I was passionate about may be beyond my physical ability to enjoy anymore. So I believe a person can search out and find new passions. The key requirement is that you have to make the decision to look for it. Maybe it will fall in your lap, but more often than not you have to look for it. maybe it's resurrecting something from long ago. maybe it's something new. The thing to remember is that to live a passionless life is to live half a life. So join me in searching for a complete life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment