Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day Trip to the Zoo

 

"Get away from the keyboard, go travel, visit some friends, see a movie, or go to the Zoo and be enthralled by the wonderful creatures of our world…" This line began a short piece on Positive Writer, a blog I follow.

Ironically, when asked what she wanted to do this weekend, my daughter said, "Go to the zoo." Her cousin was visiting so it seemed like a good way to entertain an 8 and 11 year old. We planned on getting there right at 9am (Chaffee Zoo in Fresno opens at 9), but my wife, being my wife, delayed departure until 10.  Apparently her make-up was not quite right and according to the girl she was having a tough time picking out an outfit from a whole closet full of clothes.

What is it about kids and a zoo? And by kids I mean ages 5 to 12 and then leapfrogging to 40+. Those exotic animals seem so....well, exotic. For the kids they are new, fascinating, ugly, weird, and a myriad of other adjectives. For the older crowd, the zoo ignites past memories and sparks a new interest. For most of those in the middle, the zoo just doesn't have the same magic.  My 15 and 19 year old sons would be complaining the whole time.

While the girls were chatter boxes at each exhibit, I actually found myself reading the description on the nice little placards nearby. The girls were amazed how big, small, fearsome, or cute an animal was. I noticed little details I never noticed before, especially...ugh!....age. I felt a kinship with the slow, aging, but still kicking elephant and Galapagos turtle. The girls were drawn in by appearances, but I noticed behavior--the restlessness of the Red Wolf, the towering presence of the giraffe, the gall of the Desert Addax lounging in the hot sun (while the rest of us were seeking shelter).

And then we saw something amazing. The Chaffee Zoo has undergone a lot of renovation (federal grant money being used in a good way). They added Sea Lion Cove. Unfortunately it was kind of a bummer. But we stopped at the Manta Ray petting pool. It was full of grey and black rays, many swimming right up to the edge for a human hand to caress its wing. Once the girls finally got the courage to do it, they couldn't stop.

 
I noticed a barrier at one end of the pool. Secluded there were the less friendly rays or pregnant rays (hmmm...those two characteristics might be related). That's when I saw it. It was hard to make out because of its pale color, but as it swam closer it became obvious. It was a baby ray. About the size of a Frisbee, the ray was eight weeks old. I watched for a few minutes. It swam around slowly and then would stop, settling to the bottom, becoming nearly invisible.
 
The little ray was something new. And maybe that's part of the magic that is the zoo. You never know what you might see.  Even with the one hundred degree heat, it was worth it.  So if you're feeling like you are stuck in a rut, go to the zoo.


No comments:

Post a Comment