Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathers Day

When you fancy yourself as a writer you feel pressure to produce something great on special days like today. The passing of my own father nine months ago doesn't help, but it is too early for me to do him justice on Fathers Day. It is like history. What happened a week ago is technically in the past but has enough time lapsed to put it in proper perspective? Probably not. This is one of the key thing that separates history and journalism or current events.

So with that subject off the list, what's left? A great bitch piece or more creatively a comic pice could be done on Bill "Where's a cigar when you need one" Clinton. But there's no way I would want to dishonor great fathers by doing that. So I did what so many do today--I turned to Google. Looking for great essays on fatherhood was not easy. Lots of quotes out here but not so much on the web in terms of a thoughtful essay. I will make a plug for William Bennet's The Book of Man. Bennett has a large section dedicated to fatherhood. Then about ten-thirty last night as I was watching (sort of) one of my daughter's Disney Channel shows, I found it.

Like many fantasy readers around the world I love J. R. R. Tolkien. I first read The Hobbit during the summer of 1978. The world of Middle Earth amazed me. Over the years--aside from reading some of Tolkien's short stories and The Lord of the Rings trilogy--I have read various pieces on Tolkien's inspiration, his linguistic skills, the Christian thread in the stories, and more. Last night I came across an article on Tolkien as father. It' a short, simple piece but interesting.

If you too are a fan of the fantasy genre, tune into my writing blog "With Pen In Hand" because I will be flirting with some fiction writing, especially fantasy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment